Sunday, October 6, 2013

My Testimony

A testimony is an interesting thing to think about.  It is a personal story about the writer, but in a way it is not about the writer one bit.  Its much bigger than the story of a person; the story of the God, His creation, His glory and our eternal dependence upon Him! So here we go...

I Daniel Bernard Cartwright am not my own, but I have been bought with a price.  Being born into a christian family with loving parents was a huge grace given to me by God.  However, being born to christian parents, and attending church with them does not save you.  I attended church and did my best to be a good kid and by most peoples standards i was.  But on the inside i was as lost as could be.  I did not Love the Lord my God.  I simply behaved because in doing so i got the freedom and things i wanted from my parents.  I had the attitude i would use God to make my life better for eternity.  We must remember that our God is sovereign, and this time of rebellion and hatred toward Him was in His perfect plan.  I did learn parts of the bible, simple doctrine and memorized parts of the bible through the church AWANA program.  All part of God's training me and drawing me to Himself!

Once at MTU i finally had the uninhibited freedom i always wanted, and how did i use it?  The same way i had in high school; acting like a christian by working my way to heaven.  At this point i was involved in Cru and was asked by a friend if i wanted him to disciple me.  I said yes because it was another good thing that would put me in the good graces of God.  But through this God opened my eyes to His glory.  I knew from a young age that God sent His son Jesus into this world to die for the world, and i had even "asked Jesus into my heart."  There were many things that i was unaware of though.  I never realized Jesus died for ME... and that MY sins alone were enough for Him to need to die.  I learned that i could do nothing to merit His grace, but it was a free gift from God.  I also learned that without the supernatural rebirth it is impossible to understand who Jesus was, what He did on the cross, why He rose, and what this means for His bride (the church).  I also learned that saying a prayer does not save you but Jesus taking God's wrath opun Himself on the cross does!

So, from a young age God drew me and had grace upon me, and as i grew older He opened my eyes to His glorious salvation for me.  And if that doesent make Him gracious enough he then sent His spirit to live in me that i may fight the fight that would be impossible with out His presence in my daily life.  And if that wasent enough grace, someday soon He will return and bring His bride unto Himself that He might show me the surpassing riches of His grace!!!!

Now being a christian does not make me perfect.  If it does then Jesus blood was no needed.  But on this earth i strive to glorify Him and run from the sin that so easily entangles me.  But the sufferings and shortcomings are as Paul says are light and momentary compared to the eternal weight in glory that awaits Christ's bride!

No comments:

Post a Comment